Followers

Monday 21 November 2016

Task 2D Inquiry

So this task of part 2 module one marks the last task, which had me thinking how fast this year is going. Initially when I learnt that the course was 16 months, I thought, ‘wow that’s a long time’, and it most definitely isn’t! So without further a doo, here goes task 2d.
This part of the module focuses primarily on how reflection can relate to us personally, and what occurrences take place daily in our professional practice which leads us to reflect.

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?
One thing that greatly makes me enthusiastic during my professional practice is taking class and learning from not only the teacher in the room but the other participants. One thing which I love to notice, is the variations of movement that each individual has. Some dancer’s movement quality is fluent, whilst others play more on sharp stops and starts, however the choreography is the same, but the routine when performed looks different on each dancer. It is the sense of individuality that inspires me from taking class and helps me to take different characteristics that each dancer has which I like, and try to add it to my own movement  style. This can also relate to the beats which each dancer hits within the music. For example do they hit consecutive beats, pro long the movements to coincide with high hats, or play on the lyrics. In terms of performances, apart from freestyle, all dancers for the majority of jobs are regimented and consist of dancers who have mirrors of one another for imagery purposes which limit the choice of movement, which is why I am mainly enthusiastic with taking class. Commercial/hip hop Choreographers who fascinate me with their movement quality and musical knowledge are Ian Eastwood, Tricia Mirande, and Yasmine Ogbu to name a few.

What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found a way to work around the sadness or anger?
Although I have chosen my area of strength to be within the commercial/hip hop industry, I also adore contemporary works, not only performing and training in it, but learning about it. There is nothing specific that makes me angry or sad, however I do still feel these emotions as every other person, so a choreographer who I admire who works around the sadness and anger is that of is Martha Graham. When I first watched her performance of lamentation I was caught in the moment, I could feel the grief and sadness that she was trying to portray and it inspired me to think deeper into choreography. Movement doesn’t always have to be about what looks ‘good’, it is an internal thing which can tell a story or express emotion.  Below is a link to her performing the piece with an introduction spoken by her.

What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?
Aside from the love of performing and moving in general because of the positive emotions that arise from it, I also love to teach the art of dance, or just teaching in general. I find that it is highly rewarding and it enables you to help improve and watch someone’s development in terms of confidence, social skills and dance ability. During my training at Addict Dance Academy, I undertook a three week placement with a SEN dance company called ‘Sidekick’, who each week learned something new and I could see their progression in such a short space of time. I also assisted with their performance at the ‘Curve’ theatre in Leicester, and one memory which will always stay with me was when a teenage boy who suffered with Down Syndrome refused at the last minute each night of their show to go on for his number, and on the last night he asked if I would go stage with him and he did. That sort of confidence that built up over three nights was astonishing and is one of the reasons of why I love to teach. To me, dance is not about how many pirouettes you can perform, or how many companies you are accepted into, it is about the enjoyment it fulfills and the growth of a person it can assist with.
The practitioner who I admire that runs this company is Charlotte Tomlinson and assistant practitioner Kirsty Clarke. They inspire me because when observing, I can see their passion and general love for what they do, and all of the students are so enthusiastic and enjoy all of the sessions. Below is a link to their company webpage.

What do you feel you don’t understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you?
For me, I am currently in a place of confusion with regards to my future, and what path to take. Do I keep pushing and auditioning for dance work or do I focus solely on enhancing my teaching career? If so, primary or secondary education? Or how can I use both my performance skills and teaching skills in the working industry? From my training during gaining my HND qualification, the theory teachers (as well as the other practical teachers), were freelance dance practitioners. They had so much experience to offer, and a wide rang too which I really admire. Not only could they perform and had experience of it, but they taught a variety of target groups, adults, SEN, toddlers. Some worked for a company who toured around the community, and one teacher even had a book out regarding safe practice for dancers.

How do you decide the appropriate ethical response in a given situation? To what extent are disciplinary responses different to that you might expect more generally in society? For example, what level of physical contact would you deem appropriate (and not) from another professional that you would find unacceptable more generally? Why?
For me, deciding the appropriate ethical response in a given situation depends on the profession. For example, dance and marketing oneself as a performer/choreographer requires use of web 2.0. Such as sharing online footage of a class you taught to get the attention of other surrounding practitioners to notice your work. However this would be seen as inappropriate in a primary/secondary school setting. For me, understanding what is expected of you in a given situation, and being confident regarding do’s and don’ts is extremely important, because if we misjudge the importance of ethical issues, we give ourselves a bad reputation.


2 comments:

  1. Agree with Amelia - the blog states positions and examples with links - amazing how it all builds up - and dimension of choosing career paths - lots to think about for future inquiry topics

    ReplyDelete